St. Malachy's College Old Boys' Association

SMCOBA Crest

Introducting...

1948-1956: 123 Royal Avenue

 

In 1948 the Association transferred to 123 Royal Avenue, were the facilities were improved, to include the holding of a woodwork class.  A weekly dance was held in the Club Orchid and became one of the most popular social events in the city.  The dramatic society continued its activities and was placed first in the Bangor Drama Festival with ‘The Late Christopher Bean’, produced by John Sharpe, while performances were given for charity in Parish Halls.

 

 

1956-1972: Vicinage, 40 Crumlin Road

 

During 1956 premises were bought at 40 Crumlin Road, which was officially opened on St. Patrick’s Day 1957.  The building was named ‘Vicinage’ after the name of the original site on which the College was founded, and provided a TV Room, an Assembly Room, a Billiard Room, and Committee Rooms.  An extension and renovation was carried out in 1962 which added bars downstairs and upstairs and a large hall suitable for social functions.

 

The introduction of the Education Act of 1947 had resulted in the numbers attending the College being doubled within a decade so that by 1956 there was a vast increase in the numbers of young men joining the Association.

 

The opening of the club at Crumlin Road took place at the most appropriate time for these members and marked the beginning of what was to become the most fruitful period in the history of the Association.  The building became a hive of activity almost every night, the variety and scope of functions widened and the finances grew in proportion.  The dramatic society continued to flourish as did billiard and snooker, while a basketball team was entered in the Ulster Basketball League and a football team ‘Malachians’ formed in 1964, won the West Belfast Cup and was admitted to the Amateur League in 1968. Sections were formed for chess, bridge and table-tennis and in 1966 a choir was started.

 

 

 

 

 

Square